Jim is an experienced attorney with more than twenty years of practice in the areas of insurance-linked securities, mergers and acquisitions, private placements, general corporate matters, insurance regulatory issues and life settlements.
Jim serves clients in all aspects of insurance-linked securities and insurance capital markets. He has performed extensive work in the areas of licensing, regulatory compliance, fund-structuring and portfolio acquisitions.
Jim was a partner in the Insurance Group of the Atlanta-based law firm Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP, and he is the only attorney in private practice who has actually run a life settlements company. Jim spent four years as the Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Acting Chief Operating Officer of a leading life settlement provider company where he was responsible for all compliance and legal matters, including interpretation of legislative and regulatory requirements and compliance with securities law.
He was also a senior associate at a Paul Hastings, where he practiced in the areas of securities and mergers and acquisitions. Jim also served as a judicial clerk for the Honorable Alice M. Batchelder on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Jim is a frequent presenter on topics related to the life settlement industry. He is the previous Deputy Chairman of the European Life Settlement Association and was recently elected as Chairman of the Board of the Life Insurance Settlement Association, the oldest and largest association representing the life settlement industry.
Awards & Recognition
- Chairman, Board of Directors, Life Insurance Settlement Association, 2017
- Board of Directors, Life Insurance Settlement Association 2013-present
- Deputy Chair of the European Life Settlement Association (ELSA) (2015); Executive Committee (2012, 2013 & 2014)
- Selected, Georgia Trend magazine’s Legal Elite (2012)
- Selected, Most Influential People by the Life Settlement Review (2009)
Represented Luxembourg-based funds in portfolio acquisitions.
- Structured debt issuance by an Irish Section 110 company.
- Negotiated numerous origination agreements between providers and funding sources.
- Represented Broker-Dealers and Registered Investment Advisers in negotiation of Marketing Agreements.
- Assisted with structuring international funds for investment in life settlement assets.
- Prepared private placement memoranda for institutional and retail investment in insurance-linked securities.
- Assisted in structuring separate account and drafting prospectus for private placement of variable universal life insurance.
- Represented providers in negotiations with state insurance departments.
- Represented private equity funds in acquisition and sale of portfolios of life settlement policies.
- Panelist, “Life Settlement Taxation – Strategies for Addressing Life Settlement Tax Issues”, 23rd Annual LISA Spring Life Settlement Conference, May 16, 2017
- Panelist, “Lead Generation: Rules of the Road”, 22nd Annual LISA Fall Conference, October 18, 2016
- Panelist, “The Policy Chase: Alternative Methods for Policy Generation”, 21st Annual Spring LISA Life Settlement Conference, May 4, 2015
- Panelist, “The New Life Settlement Market: How Advisors and Their Clients Can Benefit” 2015 ADISA Spring Symposium, March 23, 2015
- Speaker, “How the Life Settlements Statutory Scheme Provider Investors Protection,” Fifth Annual LISA Investor Conference, January 22, 2015
- Speaker, “Advisor Liability and Fiduciary Duty”, 20th Annual Fall LISA Life Settlement Conference, October 7, 2014
- Speaker, “Originating, Executing and Completing Life Settlement Transactions in a Changing Environment” 19th Annual LISA Fall Life Settlement Conference, October 9th, 2013
- Panelist, “Originating, Execution and Completing Life Settlements Transactions in a Changing Environment”, 19th Annual LISA SpringLife Settlement Conference, May 30, 2013
- Panelist, “The Evolution Continues: New Applications for Life Settlements Benefits Consumers”, Third Annual European Life Settlement Association Investor Summit, September 25th, 2013
- Moderator, “The Evolving Regulatory Landscape” European Life Settlement Association, 2012 Investor Summit, September 26th, 2012
- Panelist, “Life Settlements as an Asset Class” – AALU Annual Conference April 30th, 2012
- Webinar, Private Placements and Life Settlement-Related Securities, March 29th, 2011
- Webinar, Recent Topics in Life Settlements November 17th, 2010
- Webinar, SEC Eyes the Life Settlements Market September 22nd, 2009
- Webinar, Life Settlements – After the Purchase September 10th, 2009
- Webinar, Demystifying the Application of Securities Law to Life Settlements April 30th, 2009
- Article, October 1, 2011 MMM Insurance Review – “Can IRAs Invest in Life Settlements?”
- Article, March 23, 2001 MMM Insurance Review – “Can You Trust the Trustee?”
- Article, September 12, 2010 Investment News – Point/Counterpoint – “Are Life Settlements Essentially Securities?”
- Article, June 1, 2009 MMM Insurance Review – “Can Investments In Life Settlements Be Shari’ah Compliant?”
- Article, June 1, 2014 MMM Insurance Review – “The Life Settlement Option: A Duty to Inform?”
- Article, December 1, 2008 MMM Insurance Review – “Is A VUL Policy Always A Security In A Life Settlement Transaction? Maybe Not”
- Article, September 1, 2008, MMM Insurance Review – “Synthetic Structures To Hedge Longevity Risk In Life Settlements”